Popcorn time is a multiplatform BitTorent client that is open source and is used for streaming movies and TV shows. It features an awesome integrated media player which is easy to use. We selected the best VPN for Popcorn Time in 2017. We will go through some legalities of using Popcorn Time and why to use a VPN connection is a wise choice.
The application was mainly developed to provide a free alternative to other video streaming sites that are subscription based.After its inception, Popcorn Time quickly gained popularity and great media attention, with the service being regularly compared to Netflix.
However, concerns were soon raised after this popularity, and it led to the program being taken down as a result of pressure from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) through a number of lawsuits.
Though Popcorn Time developers brought down the service, the code was open source and available for other developers to use. This led to the availability of various Popcorn Time forks over the internet, which offer almost a similar service and functionality.
The original developers initially endorsed the popcorntime.io fork as its successor, but the MPAA obtained a court order to stop it. The original program, later on, appeared again as Popcorntime.sh.
Table of Contents
- 1 Popcorntime.sh
- 2 How does Popcorn Time Work?
- 3 Why Use a VPN for Popcorn Time?
- 4 The Seeding Problem – How To Go About It
- 5 Top 5 VPNs for Popcorn Time
- 6 ExpressVPN
- 7 IPVanish
- 8 NordVPN
- 9 TorGuard
- 10 Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN
- 11 How To Use Popcorn Time On Your Browser
- 12 Popcorn Time Online
- 13 Other Popcorn Time Considerations
- 14 Conclusions On Popcorn Time
This is the official Popcorn Time fork available, and it’s guaranteed to be malware free. In a bid to stay on the right side of the law, this Popcorn Time fork does not integrate copyrighted content.
It supports Chromecast, which now works efficiently on a desktop connected to a VPN. Streaming via Airplay and DLNA is also possible. However, you have to download the Beta software to use this service.
It’s available for Mac OSX 10.7+, Windows 7+, Android 4.03+ and Android TV 5.0 +.
How does Popcorn Time Work?
Popcorn Time brings free video content closer to you. By using the site, you will be able to access even the latest movies and series for free.
You can be able to follow up on suits, Game of Thrones or any of your favorite TV shows pretty much without paying a dime. However, there are also a few details you may need to know about how the program works.
As soon as you start watching a video, Popcorn Time starts downloading it via the BitTorent protocol, and it immediately seeds the file back out to everyone else. This eases the process of trackers logging your IP and therefore is the main cause of a legal problem. The file is stored in a hidden file on your hard disk, and it is automatically deleted after a reboot.
Why Use a VPN for Popcorn Time?
Popcorn time being free and offering great and new content, does not provide legal content, hence the many challenges it has faced since its inception.
The content available on the program is usually pirated and maybe illegal in your country, which is the why you need to use a VPN. A VPN conceals your internet identity, and therefore you can’t be tracked.
The service may also be blocked in your country. For example, in the UK, you can’t go past the “please wait…” screen. The only chance to use it is to try with a VPN that allows torrents or proxy services.
The Seeding Problem – How To Go About It
When using a public torrent tracker, you make it easy for anyone to get to you. Whether it be people with malicious wills, bots or even a legal team from a movie studio, you can be easily tracked.
When downloading an item, you will be sharing the content to other people who will also be downloading and sharing unwillingly. This is called seeding.
All these people are able to access your IP address, and from there can know your real identity by contacting your ISP. When you download and share content that you don’t own the rights is a copyright infringement.
This implicates that when using Popcorn Time, you are most probably breaking the law and legal action may be taken against. These are the dangers of not using Popcorn Time with a VPN connection.
When you use a VPN to access Popcorn Time, you will be using an IP address that has been given to you by the server. Everything that will be transferred to or from your computer will be encrypted, and your IP will be hidden. Whatever you watch or download will not be known to your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Without a VPN, you will be exposed and identified. This is why we decided to compile a list of the best VPNs to use with Popcorn Time.
Top 5 VPNs for Popcorn Time
The major purpose of using a VPN is to conceal your internet identity. It’s, therefore, crucial to select a VPN that doesn’t log your activities.
The VPN you choose for Popcorn Time should also be sure to allow Peer to Peer connections or simply file sharing, so as to make sure BitTorent network connections are not blocked.
A few other considerations include;
>The VPN security
This is the encryption using a particular VPN protocol and anonymity that the VPN provides to you.
One way is through giving you a random IP time and again, as anonymity is your goal.
When downloading a movie or series from Popcorn Time, you need a VPN that doesn’t impair your download speed. It should also avail you with a number of servers from which you can choose to connect.
As mentioned earlier, this is the ability to allow BitTorent connections.
Luckily, we have already gone through all these and a few other guidelines for selecting a VPN for Popcorn time, and we have simplified the work for you. Here are our pick of the best VPN connections.
Express VPN is arguably the best VPN service that you can find out there. It offers you a vast and speedy network of around 500 servers that are placed in 78 different countries across the world. With these large number of servers, you can almost always connect to the server that is near you. This ensures that you get a fast connection with virtually no speed loss.
This impressive network of servers plays a big role in ensuring that you get an unlimited server switching, which enables you to identify the best connection at that specific time. The network they offer is SSL secured and brags 256-bit encryption that is sure to allow you fully anonymity while online.
Express VPN also boasts a high degree of user-friendliness. Though designed to look simple by the eye, it packs the most important features that you may need while using Popcorn Time. It offers you;
- A DNS leak protection that is fully firewall-based
- A kill switch
- WebRTC protection
- OpenVPN encryption suite
- 24/7 customer support
- 30-day full money refund guarantee
- zero logging.
The service is available for both Windows, Mac, iOS and Android users. Though you may pay a little extra coin, you get a fast and reliable VPN service that is worth every cent.
- Unlimited Bandwidth with Ultra Speed
- 99.99% Uptime
- Endless Server Switches
- Provides all VPN protocols. These are OpenVPN, (TCP, UDP), SSTP, L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP
- Zero logging.
- High-End Security with OpenVPN 256-bits
- 136+ servers in 87+ countries
- Remarkable Referral Program that offers 30 days of free service on every sign-up
- 3 Simultaneous-login Option
- 30-Days Money Back Guarantee (Perfect if you want to give it a try)
- Relatively expensive
ExpressVPN offers you three pricing options that are shown below;
All plans include all VPN apps, an unlimited high-speed bandwidth, and 24/7 customer support.
IPVanish is one of the largest and fastest growing VPN networks and one whose providers can boast a solid reputation. The company claims to be the only Top Tier Virtual Private Network provider around, bragging over 500 servers across 60+ different countries and providing its users with way more than 40,000 unique IP addresses.
IPVanish is a service that is sure to offer you maximum security and privacy while using Popcorn Time. The VPN does not collect or log any traffic of your activity while you connected to their network. It’s also easy to use, with one-click applications available for all platforms.
One major plus for IPVanish is that it operates a top-tier backbone which means that it fully controls its entire network. It, therefore, does not rely on hosting services of third party providers. This is one of the major reasons while it often tests as the fastest VPN network. That set up also cements the zero logs claim, which can be compromised for other VPNs that use third party hosting services.
The network has a capacity to deliver not only high speeds but also maintain throughput speeds, unlike some networks that you may notice choppy feeds, especially in the evenings.
Here are a few features of IPVanish;
- Allows file-sharing traffic/ P2P: There’s no restriction on P2P traffic like BitTorrent
- NAT Firewall protection: Prevents you from the exploitation of malicious entities.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot protection: Public networks are unsecured connections. They ease the process for people with malicious intentions to access stored credentials or financial information. IPVanish offers you protection when using public Wi-Fi, so you still remain secure.
- Support for multiple VPN protocols: It offers connections over OpenVPN (128-bit encryption), L2TP (256-bit encryption) and PPTP (128-bit encryption).
- Device Compatibility: IPVanish is available for various devices. It has automated software for Mac, iOS, Windows and Android. It can also be configured manually for Ubuntu, Windows phones, Android TV Chromebook, and even routers.
- No Logging: With IPVanish, you can be completely sure to avoid the storage or recording of user activity. Any information provided is also not retained, and this ensures your online safety.
- An unlimited number of Installed devices: You can install IPVanish software on as many devices as you so wish. However, you can’t connect more than two devices to the VPN simultaneously. One can only use OpenVPN while the second is using either PPTP or L2TP.
- Network of servers
- Easy to set up
- No traffic logs kept
- No free trial
- VPN service subject to US data privacy laws (NSA, Gag Orders)
- Only up to 2 simultaneous connections
- Limited time duration to claim refunds (7 days upon registration)
IPVanish also features a periodic IP change, which is a useful feature if you don’t want to linger on a single IP.
IPVanish pricing is as show below;
NordVPN is a VPN service that is majorly focused on privacy. It’s based in Panama which makes it a great plus since it’s outside the direct reach of NSA and GCHQ.
It boasts quite a huge number of servers with 744 VPN servers located in 58 different countries. It may not offer you the speed of the likes of IPVanish, but NordVPN offers you a wide range of services, at an exceptional price.
Its servers are present in 50 different countries, and they offer you high-speeds for Popcorn Time downloading. The network keeps no logs at all, and according to the official website, it’s the world’s most advanced VPN. They also say that it has been in service for over ten years, and it offers you “military grade protection.”
The service is available for both Windows and Mac users, and you can use up to 6 devices on NordVPN. It features great encryption by utilizing the OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and L2TP. It also offers “double-hop” VPN and accepts payments in bitcoins. Though some servers are a bit slow, faster ones are also available.
Here are a few other stand out features;
- Wi-Fi Protection: With NordVPN, you can use public Wi-Fi even to check your bank balance or buy online, without fear of being exposed.
- Automatic Kill Switch: The software has a kill switch technology that will shut down any site or software you have specified when VPN connection drops.
- DNS Leak Protection
- P2P is permitted
- Zero logs
- Fantastic value for money
- Up to six devices at once
- Excellent encryption
- Servers in 47 countries worldwide
- Network reliability
30-day money back guarantee
- Some servers are relatively slow
Here is an illustration of the pricing;
TorGuard is deservedly considered as one of the best VPN service providers. It’s been in service for around 5 years now, and its claim to fame is that they offer specific types of servers for specific activities.
This means that for Popcorn Time usage, you can connect to servers that are mainly focused on torrenting as they offer BiTorrent friendly services. The company features an impressive 1600+ servers in 50 different countries. They have no logging or data retention of any form, and they are a great service provider when it comes to using Popcorn Time with total privacy.
TorGuard uses multiple connectivity protocols and supports Windows, Mac, and Android and iOS platforms. They even offer encrypted, offshore email support for their customers, in case you would like to utilize it.
A major distinctive feature for TorGuard is its stealth VPN service. When you access their stealth VPN server, you will be guaranteed to bypass Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) firewalls that are usually meant to limit access in countries such as Iran, China, and UAE. The service is free.
- 1250+ servers in over 43 countries
- Unlimited server connects
- Unlimited bandwidth speed and usage
- Up to 5 devices connected at a time
- No logging
- Accepts Bitcoin
- P2P / Torrent enabled
- Private Email service
- Free 10MB email (for VPN plans)
- Stealth VPN service
- Multiple protocols
- Anonymous Proxy service
- Device compatibility
- Anonymous BitTorrent downloads
- Viscosity VPN Software License
7-day money-back guarantee
- Based in the US
- Limited server countries
Here are the pricing options;
Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN
Private Internet Access comes in at our number 5. It is quite an excellent choice for a Popcorn Time VPN though. It is one of the most affordable VPN services that you can find, and they are a great service provider if you are looking to have a VPN for just Popcorn Time use without additional services or costs.
Together with this excellent price comes a high-level encryption technology, a simple interface, and a very user-friendly system.
It is available for virtually any operating system including Windows, Mac, Linux and Android and allows you up to 5 simultaneous connections. With the Private Internet Access VPN, you get an offer of a whopping 3,300+ server located in 24 different countries. Though the countries are relatively fewer compared to the other VPN service providers, PIA servers are strategically located in major locations that about 95% of their clients would want.
There are the UK and US servers dedicated to media streaming, Romania, Germany and Netherlands servers meant for torrents, and Israel and Hong Kong servers that are meant to act as local servers for customers located near those countries.
PIA VPN Pros
- Very affordable price
- Encryption strength & overarching variety
- Zero logs
- Same client across platforms
- Almost anonymous sign-up (Only email address is required)
- Money-back guarantee
PIA VPN Cons
- Servers in fewer countries than those offered by other VPN providers
- Rare performance fluctuations
- Support responses can be slow
Here are the pricing details;
How To Use Popcorn Time On Your Browser
Until recently, you had to install Popcorn Time on your computer so as to have any chance of using this great and free service. However, all this has now changed, and you can watch Popcorn Time right from your browser.
Popcorn Time Online
On popcorntime-online.io, you are able to stream high-quality movies and watch television shows all for free. What’s more, when you select a movie, you can choose to watch a trailer first. You can also be able to add subtitles and sometimes even dubbing.
You can also be able to search for a specific movie or series using a search box feature on the right top corner as well as create a favorites list.
When accessing this service through your chrome browser, you can also be able to cast it to your Google Chromecast device. I’m pretty sure that using Popcorn Time with your Chromecast sounds like the marvelous idea it is.
Here, I will give you some guidelines meant to help you access the full functionality of Popcorn Time on your browser, using popcorntime-online.io
- First, you need to navigate to the Popcorn Time Online website.
2. Here, you will be able to choose whether to watch a Movie or a TV show. You will also be able to filter them according to genres and categories that are found on the left-hand side menu.
3. After you have chosen what you want to watch, a page for that movie will open. Here, you can read a short intro of the movie. It is from this page also that you can choose to watch the trailer or select the quality of the video you want to watch. You can set it either as 1080 p or 720 p. Choosing a smaller torrent size makes sure you get the fastest download. There is also a menu where you can see how many peers are available and the fastest torrent comes with a “green battery” sign.
4. You can then click “Watch it now.”
5. You will be prompted to install the Torrents Time browser plugin. Don’t worry; it’s a small file that installs quickly.
6. If you haven’t turned on your VPN, you will be advised to do so, in order to avoid legal action being taken against you. Popcorn time offers you a VPN service you have to pay for so we suggest you to pick one of the services we reviewed in this article since they will better fit your needs.
7. After you turn on VPN, you will then be able to watch/ download your movie/ TV show of choice.
8. You can then grab some popcorn and enjoy the full functionality of Popcorn Time while remaining anonymous through your VPN of choice!
Other Popcorn Time Considerations
Popcorn Time as an alternative to Netflix
As mentioned earlier, Popcorn Time greatly resembles Netflix, in that it allows users to watch movies and TV shows online.
The major difference is that Popcorn Time is free and not really legal, and it has been dubbed ‘Netflix for Pirates.’ However, it is really a good platform where you can catch even the latest shows, all for free.
Since it directly affects movie studio and the general producers, it has always been under fire since it gained its popularity. Using it with your true identity can have you charged in a court of law, and therefore it’s important to make sure you use a top VPN connection when streaming from Popcorn Time.
The VPN you choose also needs to have a kill switch so that when connection to the server drops, your internet connectivity is disabled to prevent you from being exposed. This way, you will be sure to use Popcorn Time without being worrying much about your safety.
Popcorn Time in Germany
Using Popcorn Time in Germany is a bit tricky if you don’t do it right. The German government is strict on piracy, and it tries to help producers be compensated for piracy.
This, therefore, means that in Germany you MUST use a VPN if at all you don’t want to be charged.
Secondly, do not connect to a server located in Germany. You can connect, for example, to a server in the nearby Switzerland.
The reason it’s so easy to be traced is that Popcorn Time is torrent based, and this uses a lot of bandwidths. It is, therefore, important to stay safe, as a number of people have actually been prosecuted for this!
What to do if you get caught
If you happen to get caught because you didn’t use a VPN connection, you can go through a tough time.
This is especially if you are subjected to speculative invoicing, a practice that is on the rise. This is where copyright holders get a legal team (copyright troll) to act on their behalf. In this situation, you can either be sued or made to fork out a cash settlement.
In such a situation, you should consult the UK government for official guidance or TorrentFreak’s Speculative Invoicing Handbook. The latter can be more useful than the former, and the advice therein can help even if you live in other parts of Europe or North America.
However, why expose yourself to such when you can just use a VPN provider!
Conclusions On Popcorn Time
Popcorn Time is an extremely useful service, considering that it’s available free of charge. However, depending on your country, it can bring you into some real trouble.
This is especially if you live in countries where the government is strict with copyright laws.
It’s, therefore, important that when you think of Popcorn Time, you also think of a top VPN service. The above-reviewed VPNs are just perfect for you, and you surely can’t miss a favorite!