Perfect Privacy is one of the best VPN providers when it comes to privacy. It has been on the market since 2008 and has a very high level of trust in the scene. Even with server seizures in the past, no customer data has been leaked.
The progressive security features and the absolute no logging policy make it a VPN for sophisticated users. But that has its price. Perfect Privacy costs a little more than most other providers. If you go for the 2-year plan, it costs $8.95 a month. In this review, you will find out why it is worth it.
Perfect Privacy Pros
- Absolutely no logs
- Unlimited devices at the same time
- Multi-Hop VPN with cascades over 4 servers
- NeuroRouting is a dynamic multihop feature
- Based in Switzerland which is known as a privacy-friendly jurisdiction
- Server-side ad malware and tracking blocker
- All servers are running on RAM-disks
Perfect Privacy Cons
- A little higher price than others
- There is no guarantee that it works with all streaming services
When you look at the compressed overview of Perfect Privacy’s services, you get an idea. In the following, we will go into the details.
Perfect Privacy VPN Compressed Information
- Company since 2008, worldwide participants
- Dedicated servers in 26 countries
- Up to 1 GBit/s bandwidth
- Unlimited traffic & number of connections
- Access to all servers, unlimited switching
- Customizable port forwarding
- Unlimited devices, simultaneous connections possible.
- Firewall- and DNS-Leak-Protection integrated in the Windows client software
- Protocols: OpenVPN, IPSec, PP2P, SSH
- P2P allowed on most servers (USA and France forbidden)
- Own DNS servers. DNS-Leak-Protection integrated in Windows client.
- IP leak protection
- IPv6 leak protection
- WebRTC leak protection
- MSLeak protection
- Cascading over up to 4 different servers, choose your own personal route.
- Socks5 and Squid proxies on all servers for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SSL and TLS.
- Access any .onion domain without the need for the TOR browser bundle.
- Preconfigured routers for Perfect Privacy available via flashrouters.com & Vilfo
- Ad-, phishing- & tracking blocker (TrackStop)
- Warrant canary
- IPv6 on most servers
Logging and Privacy
- No logging of IP addresses or any other data that would compromise the user’s anonymity
- No personal information needed: An anonymous email (can even be throw-away) is sufficient
- All services run on dedicated servers in a chrooted environment on a ram disk.
- Since begin of operations no users were ever identified, despite several server raids
- Perfect Privacy VPN Manager Software for Windows 7, 8, & 10
- Switch connection type between OpenVPN and IPSec with one mouseclick
- Firewall- and DNS-Leak-Protection integrated and configurable to different security levels
- Default port forwardings: 3 random ports are automatically forwarded
- Cascading over up to 4 hops across our serverpark with a few mouseclicks
- Add an additional proxy server of your choice in the client software.
- Customizable port forwardings: Choose upto 5 ports of your choice to be forwarded
- Choose Perfect Privacy nameservers of your choice or use randomly assigned ones
- Choose between UDP and TCP for OpenVPN
- Automatically updates software and downloads latest configuration files
- Server configuration files are separate, so that a manual configuration for OpenVPN GUI is possible
- DNS over TLS
- Perfect Privacy Tunnel Manager for windows for easy setup of SSH tunnels
- MacOS client software, a detailed setup guide can be found on our website
- Easy to use Android app and configs for more
- iOS app: we do not support iOS app because Apple do not allow external adblockers in the app
store. Therefore we have easy to set up config files for iOS devices
All functions are available without limits in every price plan.
Plans & Prices
As mentioned in the beginning, Perfect Privacy is a bit more expensive. But if you look at the mass of functions it is worth the price. There is also a 7-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied. There are 3 price plans available.
- 1-month plan for $12.99 per month
- 12-month plan for $9.99 per month (charged annually)
- 24-month plan for $8.95 per month (charged once every two years)
Privacy Based Locations
The name of the provider promises what you can expect: Perfect Privacy. That starts with the locations. The head office is located in Switzerland, a particularly data protection-friendly country, and the technical implementation is in Panama.
Since Perfect Privacy does not create any logs, it is obvious that they have no limits on the number of devices that can be used simultaneously.
All servers are dedicated bare metal servers and running on ram-disks. This way all data is lost if the server is seized (which has already happened).
There are providers that have a Zero-Knowledge-DNS. But Perfect Privacy is one step further. They even have a copy of the root zone so that all DNS requests cannot leave the strongly encrypted network. Even if the DNS request goes to the root server.
Perfect Privacy offers DNS over TLS: DNS requests are packed into an encrypted TLS connection (Transport Layer Security, more commonly known as SSL / Secure Sockets Layer). DNS leak Protection is available in the Killswich.
In the VPN Manager you can activate IPv4 and IPv6 leak protection in 3 security levels. Also the DNS leak protection can be controlled separately in 3 levels. In the highest level the firewall blocks all connections to the Internet as long as you are not connected to the VPN.
There are providers that offer Double-Hop. This cannot be compared with the cascaded VPN at Perfect Privacy. Here, tunnel to tunnel is not used, but tunnel within a tunnel.
Since you can choose 4 servers, the connection is encrypted 4 times like the Onion principle (Please note that the more servers in a cascade, the slower it gets). In their VPN Manager you can easily select the servers for a cascade and it is best to select countries that are known not to cooperate with each other.
NeuroRouting is based on machine learning. It is quasi a dynamic multi-hop feature (but here tunnel to tunnel). Depending on where a web page is called, it dynamically searches for a hop within our strongly encrypted VPN network as close as possible to the destination.
It can be switched on in the login area and works on the server side. Therefore it is active for all connected devices. It can also be combined with the static multi hop.
TrackStop is also a powerful tool. It can also be activated in the login area on the server-side for all devices. You can use it to block unwanted domains on their name servers. Perfect Privacy offers different block lists here:
- Child protection filter (blocks a lot of websites that are inappropriate for children)
- Tracking & advertising filter (blocks over 30.000 tracking and advertisement domains)
- Fraud filter (blocks known malware-, ransomware- and phishing domains)
- Fake News filter (blocks known fake news domains)
- Facebook filter (blocks all Facebook domains including Whatsapp, Instagram and Facebook tracking)
- Google filter (Warning: This blocks all Google domains, including YouTube, ReCaptcha and other services from Google used on many websites!)
- Social Media filter (blocks all known social media domains)
But also at school, university or workplace the feature can be very useful to get through the firewall with the VPN. Some ISPs slow down VPN traffic – with Stealth VPN you can reach higher speeds again.
Torrenting and P2P
Torrenting and P2P is generally allowed. Due to the strict laws in the USA and France, this is not possible on American and French servers.
Perfect Privacy offers port forwarding to configure the ports for peer-to-peer networks.
For a speed-test it is important to choose a server that is close to your location. That way you get the best results. Depending on the routing the results can vary.
In our test the results for downloads were much better with the IPsec protocol:
The OpenVPN protocol was much slower for downloads, but for uploads it is the protocol with the best speed:
But both results allow speeds that are high enough for all use cases on the internet including streaming.
Perfect Privacy gives no guarantee that the service will work with the most common streaming sites like Netflix or BBC. If the respective IP addresses are blocked it will not work. However, there are some servers that do, as the users of the Perfect Privacy forum report.
Perfect privacy really surprised us. When it comes to security and privacy, it is probably one of the best providers on the market and will gain in reputation in the future. If you place more value on reliability and trust, this is the right provider for you.
And let’s be honest, whoever can securely Torrent with this VPN does not need streaming websites. Try this provider we can recommend. Within 7 days you will get your money back guaranteed if you are not satisfied.