If you use a VPN for Netflix, the chances are that you have come across the Netflix proxy error. Fortunately, there are a couple of fixes one can use to avoid the error. Since Netflix instigated its abroad VPN ban (the ban prevents Netflix users from watching its US, UK and Canadian shows from overseas), VPN providers and customers have been working tirelessly to come up with a solution.
At the moment some VPN providers can fix the Netflix proxy error by changing your Netflix region to the USA on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Smart TV, Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, Roku, Chromecast, PS3, PS4, and Xbox.
When you are connected to some VPNs, Netflix often brings the following error message along with error code m7111-1331-5059:
VPN providers are involved in lost and found game with Netflix – since a server that could be working now may get blocked the next moment, while new servers and IP addresses continuously get implemented.
When you find yourself in this situation, there are only two workarounds to fix the Netflix proxy error:
- You can humbly adopt to watching your local Netflix region and stop using VPN or Smart DNS.
- Also, you can purchase a VPN service that’s still capable of changing your Netflix region.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Netflix Detects That You Are Using A VPN?
- 2 Why We Support Using VPN With Netflix?
- 3 Fixing Netflix Proxy Error With A VPN
- 4 List Of Best VPNs Working With Netflix
- 5 1. EXPRESSVPN – BEST NETFLIX VPN
- 6 2. NORDVPN
- 7 3. STRONGVPN
- 8 4. VYPRVPN
- 9 5. HIDEMYASS
- 10 Why Some VPNs Work While Others Don’t?
- 11 Netflix App And Netflix On Browser Comparison
- 12 Unblocking Netflix On Apple TV
- 13 Conclusion
How Netflix Detects That You Are Using A VPN?
Basically, Netflix blacklist all IP addresses that belong to VPN servers. Every time you connect to a blacklisted VPN server, you will be presented with an error message. Netflix uses a couple of methods to detect whether you are using a VPN or proxy server.
The most common and efficient are GeoIP databases. There are a few companies such as Maxmind and IPligence that operate to collect data on IP addresses such as countries, cities, proxy, locations, and businesses and so on.
Later they sell this information to companies like Netflix. Netflix can therefore easily check your IP address against these databases once you establish a connection with the Netflix server, and find out where you are from.
By the input of these databases, Netflix can easily know when you are using a VPN or proxy IP address, and it is automatically blocked. They might even mark all IP addresses marked as VPN/proxies.
Alternatively, Netflix can blacklist IP addresses on which they detect multiple Netflix logins. These two alternatives are enough for Netflix to detect IP addresses that belong to VPNs.
Why We Support Using VPN With Netflix?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a complex privacy tool, unlike a web proxy that could be used for simple privacy needs. Everyone interest in their security and privacy considers a VPN service as their first option. I highly recommend the use of a VPN whether or not you are using it for Netflix.
The Netflix VPN ban is just a simple tool to conciliate the copyright owners. Netflix will block VPN users always when a proxy is suspected. This is a cruel action especially to paying subscribers of Netflix. Making clients to shut down their VPNs could cost them their privacy, particularly those connected to insecure Wi-Fi or those traveling to countries with strict censorship.
Every user has a right to use a VPN. Netflix should realize that they are asking users to sacrifice their privacy to be entertained.
Fixing Netflix Proxy Error With A VPN
If your VPN subscription stopped supporting Netflix, the only option left is switching to another VPN service that still supports Netflix.
I have compiled for you a comprehensive of VPN services that still support Netflix efficiently. While most of the VPN services are still working to come up with a fix, a few of them like ExpressVPN include the Netflix in their service.
The following steps show how you can US Netflix in your region:
- Sign up for a VPN service that supports Netflix.
- Download and install the application on your device.
- Start the application and sign in by inputting your credentials.
- Connect to an American VPN server.
- Click on the Netflix site or start the Netflix application.
- You are now successful in bypassing the Netflix VPN ban.
List Of Best VPNs Working With Netflix
The following is a list of VPNs that you can still use to watch American Netflix even outside the United States. Each VPN service is accompanied by a detailed review.
1. EXPRESSVPN – BEST NETFLIX VPN
ExpressVPN is arguably the best Netflix VPN. The fact that their servers are located all over in the USA make them experts in unblocking the American Netflix. They are actually one of the very few VPN services that can bypass the Netflix VPN ban, by changing your Netflix region to America.
Ever since Netflix introduced the VPN ban, ExpressVPN has always been able to avoid the Netflix proxy error.
On top of that, ExpressVPN can run on three different devices simultaneously. They also have a strictly no logs policy, not forgetting their 24/7 support for all users. Plus you can benefit from a 30-Days money back guarantee to test the service.
- American Netflix.
- 24/7 support.
- No activities logging policy.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- VPN apps for most platforms.
- Over 130 server in 90 countries worldwide.
NordVPN has applications forAndroid, iPhone, iPad, Windows, and Mac. It one of the easiest and user-friendly VPN services to use. Additionally, NordVPN is very easy to setup and only takes a few minutes.
Once the setup process is complete, all you need to do is start the application and connect to a server of your choice. In this case, an American server is the most appropriate. Note that NordVPN offers you with a 30-day money back guarantee – this is enough time for you to test the application and find out whether it meets your requirements.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Double VPN.
- Awesome VPN apps.
- Has servers in 50+ countries.
- Slower connection speeds.
StrongVPN is an ideal VPN service to unblock US and UK Netflix from abroad. Although this VPN does not offer many features as other VPN services such as ExpressVPN, it makes it up for its clients by offering the best subscription rates. If you are looking for a cheap, effective service, look no more.
- Offer free smart DNS service.
- Relatively inexpensive.
- Unblocks the US and UK Netflix from abroad.
- Short money back period of 5 days.
- Slow connection speeds.
- OpenVPN is only available on some servers.
VyprVPN started supporting unblocking American Netflix just recently. In 2016 the VPN service was yet to come up with a workaround for the Netflix proxy error. But then again, they finally offered their clients with a solution.
This year, their US servers are now able to evade the Netflix VPN ban. Other than the fact that they took so long to find a Netflix proxy error workaround, they are one of the best VPNs able to unblock US Netflix.
- Very fast servers.
- Servers located in over 30 countries.
- No torrents available
HideMyAss is yet another VPN that does quite a good job unblocking Netflix. Although sometimes their servers get a little overworked and therefore affecting the connection speeds, the have their way out fixing the Netflix proxy error. This makes it an ideal VPN to unblock Netflix.
HideMyAss have servers all over the globe and therefore accessible in almost all parts of the world. You can find out here which HMA server unblock Netflix US.
- 30 day money back guarantee.
- They servers in almost 150 countries
- User friendly
Why Some VPNs Work While Others Don’t?
Netflix will use IP addresses to block VPN users. Since most VPNs available use shared IPs – multiple users are assigned the same IP which they use to access Netflix website. This could improve user privacy but also makes it obvious to Netflix that the IP belongs to a VPN.
Then again, Netflix could implement network monitoring tools which can detect VPN proprieties.
VPN providers that can bypass Netflix firewall may be using the following facts:
The VPNs clients’ base is relatively small, such that Netflix ignores the IP addresses of the VPN.
Alternatively, the VPN can bring some kind of confusion which makes the traffic seem normal to Netflix. The IP address could also keep on changing in intervals making it difficult for Netflix to detect it.
Netflix App And Netflix On Browser Comparison
A VPN that unblocks Netflix on a web browser might not be able to unblock it on the Netflix app on your phone, set-top box or smart TV.
This is because, for a web browser, it is a must to use the DNS servers specified by the OS. Most VPN apps will counter this for you by rerouting all DNS apps into their DNS servers which ensure that the DNS requests match the location of the VPN server.
On the other hand, the Netflix app may override a device’s DNS configurations and enforce requests to be sent to a public DNS nameserver or the non-paid ISP’s nameserver. This will cause a conflict of where the user IP is located and where the DNS request is originating. Netflix will definitely block that IP address
Unblocking Netflix On Apple TV
Since Apple TV has no inbuilt support for VPNs, one ought to reroute traffic through a VPN.
Note these important options:
- Install a VPN service on your iPhone or iPad
- Stream Netflix on your iOS device the
- Cast it on Apple TV using Airplay
This method is not similar to watching Netflix on your Apple TV, but it works anyway.
- You can also use your laptop as to configure a virtual router. Connect your Apple TV to the Wi-Fi. As long as you have installed a VPN on your laptop, the internet connection on your Apple TV is secure. You can also be able to unblock American Netflix. The same result is achieved when you use this method on Chromecast, Roku, and FireTV.
- Format your Wi-Fi router with a VPN compatible firmware and the install a VPN on it.This is the most technically advanced method, and it is important to be sure of what you are doing. The procedure might change from different routers, and not all routers will take DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. If you feel that this is too much for you, you can go ahead and purchase a VPN preconfigured router.
ExpressVPN is the best and recommended Netflix VPN. Although it might be a bit expensive, it has proven beyond reasonable doubt that it will always provide a quality service when it comes to unblocking the US and UK Netflix.
However, all the four mentioned above VPN services will do a great job evading the Netflix VPN ban. In case a VPN does not perform to your expectations, just contact the support. Sometimes they have specific information on which server to use to connect to Netflix US but do not make it public to protect it from Netflix.